Peter Simm Helps Fellow Ontario Lawyers Triumph in Civil Appeals
Peter A. Simm has a substantial record of success in civil appeals. Across Canada, 92 appellate court decisions have cited Simm's cases, including three Supreme Court of Canada decisions, plus two by foreign appellate courts.
In difficult or complex matters where he was not previously involved, his experienced yet “fresh eyes” have demonstrably brought valuable insights.
In Amberwood , Simm crafted the winning argument by grappling with issues of judicial reform of a common-law rule, as well as whether Ontario law should adopt two longstanding British exceptions to that rule. His legal and public policy analysis convinced the majority in the Court of Appeal, who expressly noted “the complexity and novelty of the issues”.
Simm can significantly improve your client’s chances of success on an appeal, through any of the following á la carte services:
• reviewing the lower court’s decision, and opining as to the advisability of bringing an appeal
• identifying and formulating potentially viable grounds for appeal
• where leave to appeal is required, formulating grounds for leave, and drafting requisite materials for the motion for leave
• drafting a Notice of Appeal; or, where one has already been drafted, reviewing and revising it
• researching and drafting the Factum
• making oral argument in Court as appellate counsel, co-counsel or agent.